Monday, August 18, 2014









This cannot be a coincidence. Can’t be. 

I’m at Highlights wonderful  Unworkshop. It's a retreat at a place I'd longed to go for almost 20 years. It’s been a busy day and it's time to sleep, but there’s a book shelf filled with children’s literature and more. I have to peek.

I peruse the titles. BUD NOT BUDDY by Christopher Paul Curtis.  Love that book and have it at home. Joke Books, and lots of Highlights magazines which I read last night. 

One book catches my attention, KINGBIRD HIGHWAY: The Story of a Natural Obsession that Got a Little Out of Hand by Kenn Kaufman.
I don’t know that author. But it looks intriguing and there’s a bird on the cover. I've loved birds since I was a little kid.  Plus, it’s dedicated to the memory of  a person named Theodore.

I’m Theodora.


Okay, so I look up this author. He’s famous in the birding and the book world. Real famous! I should have known him. I also discover  the Kenn and Kimberly Kaufman website and  blog.   http://birdingwithkennandkim.blogspot.com/


Perusing their site, there's an Ibis photo, a bird  I’m struggling to write a  PB about.  And I find one of a woodpecker I saw just the other day in New Jersey. I'd never seen one like it before.

Poke me with a fork; I’m done.  

 I’m  taking the book – no, not stealing it– to read in my bed tucked inside a cozy  writer’s cabin in the Pennsylvania woods far from the August heat of my native Florida. 

But when I return home, I’ll buy this book that spoke volumes to me, not just about birding, but about  living and especially writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment