Thursday, March 19, 2015

Okay so this searching for an agent and querying process isn't easy. With all the advice on how important an agent is, you have to be sure to find one that fits with you. On top of that, one that wants  your work. So what that you've spend years writing and editing or that it's the 10th draft.

Using agentquery.com to start the list and then reading interviews, watching videos and listening to pod casts.

I sent a query to Caitie Flum of Liza Dawson Associates -- no pages or synopsis, just a query per submission guidelines-- and received a rejection the same afternoon. A personal one, but 

Ouch! 

However, I was appreciative to get an answer. So many agents and publishers don't have time to reply to their onslaught of queries. I sent a quick TY email and truly appreciated her time and reply. 

Enter damning inner voice saying all those negative things writers tell themselves. But this time, I silenced it pronto. On to the agent list. Found one who wanted historical fiction and even had military listed as an interest. Off went the query and the first 50 pages. Hope raised it's glorious head. Remember:




Now it's a waiting game.

I intend to send  a couple more queries today. Meanwhile, I'm on the 3rd draft of a contemporary, edgy YA. My MG/YA group, the Skyway Writers, are the ones who can help me whip it into shape. 

Writing about the difficult process of finding an agent not only gives me something worthwhile 
( IMHO) to blog about; it's cathartic.

Keep the faith and keep reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment